Monday, December 8, 2008

Humbug...

Well, the tree is FINALLY up!

And that's it...just a tree. There is no village this year, no plans for cookies. There is no Christmas card list yet...although I have received several already, for which I thank you, my friends :)

Truth be told, I have very little in the way of Christmas spirit this year.

What even IS Christmas spirit, anyway?

I remember when I was a child, the buildup to Christmas was huge. There were toys to remember that you wanted, whispers to be listened for, and Santa to be good for. As I got older, I enjoyed Christmas on a different level, looking forward to shopping and decorating and baking. So elaborate my plans, that I often would be working furiously into the wee hours of Christmas Eve just to finish wrapping gifts!

Last year, I forced myself to do a huge, elaboate village. I don't do it for others, I do it for me. I love doing the village. I get tired, achy and irritable, but the end result gives me a sense of satisfaction that I don't achieve very often.

This year, bah!

I can't even be bothered. Sure, I've bought the supplies and even a few extra accessories, but while the mind may be willng, the body and spirit are not.

So, with the tree up, I can concentrate on getting a few small vignettes assembled quickly tomorrow. A basket with a battery operated house in it to serve as a centerpiece on the coffee table, a house on a cake stand to decorate the kitchen. A house in a fishpot for some added cheer, and maybe another house here or there.

Perhaps, I'll find some spirit along the way...it sure would do me good....

No comments: